Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Culture Shock!

Hey Y'all! It's been a while since I last posted something. I've had a few people ask me where all my October posts were. I apologize for the lack of posts during this past month. It's been a pretty busy month. I've been adjusting to my new life and job in a new country and that definitely takes a lot out of a girl.

Today, I'm writing about my experience with........you guessed it! Culture Shock! One thing that I have found is that so many people believe culture shock happens immediately when you arrive in a new place. While that is somewhat true, it's not entirely correct. Culture shock, according to medium.com, happens in 4 stages: the honeymoon, frustration, adjustment and acceptance. Click here to see the article!

The first phase, the honeymoon, is usually what you experience when you first arrive. When everything is new and beautiful. You can't get enough of the people, the food, the culture, etc. If you don't stay somewhere long enough, the honeymoon, can/will last the whole trip.

The second phase, frustration, is where the homesick frustration sets in (obviously, that's why it's called the frustration phase!).  This phase usually hits hard around the 3 month mark of being in a new place and is when the little things that you found so intriguing before, frustrate the crap out of you now! Things like struggling to understand the language when asking for directions, trying to do things that should take 30 minutes and finding them taking all day, and having to run around to 6 different places just to get a package sent to you by your family in the states (yes, this is my current situation). This is where you're usually wondering "What the heck am I doing here? I should just go home!" I definitely don't recommend wallowing in this phase or these feelings however.

The third phase is the adjustment phase. This is the phase where you really start to adjust to the new way of life. It's where you make an active decision to "go big or go home!" for lack of a better description. You have to choose to not stay in the frustration phase, instead doing what is necessary to adjust to the culture so that you can finally come to the 4th and final stage, acceptance.

The fourth stage, acceptance is when you finally accept that "Yes, this is different. No, I'm not going to always understand or get it but that's okay and I'm happy where I am." This is the stage that I'm aspiring to reach.

Currently, I am teetering between frustration and adjustment. Some days are definitely better than others. Just last week, I broke down in the post office because I couldn't get the package that I've been waiting for from my family. I have to request permission for some of the items in the box to be imported which is just another hurdle for me to climb. However, it's not the end of the world. I cried when it happened, now I'll request permission and go about my business to continue adjusting. I know now, that I shouldn't have anything shipped to me.

I am definitely continually growing and adjusting and while I'm slowly but surely adapting, I definitely can't wait to see all my friends and family when I'm back in the States for Christmas Break. Unfortunately, the homesickness never goes away and quite honestly, the 4 stages of culture shock tend to repeat themselves. However, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, FaceTiming my family and friends, staying in touch via Facebook and enjoying this beautiful country and all it has to offer!

Until next time,

Travel to expand your horizons, Live life at your own pace and Be happy!

Love Always,

Kelli Marie

2 comments:

  1. Love this and I am praying that you continue to push forward and find out new things about yourself!!! Love you doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and you are absolutely correct about all these stages!

    I have definitely been through all of them. I'll even add, culture shock is cycle (that sneaks up on you many times) happening with repeated experiences/ events (even if you've already been through the experience before in the past---ex: me trying to get vitamins from the postal system here in Costa Rica. I feel your pain!).
    In the end, you realize you ARE in another country, and they do things differently, and that's okay. Pura vida! Lol
    The beauty of it is that you are constantly growing, learning and changing.You begin to recognize the differences between your culture and theirs, the pitfalls and the greatness of each culture. And eventually it all becomes apart of you, and you apart of it.

    Great article and I can't wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete