Monday, January 8, 2018

Happy New Year! 2018 is here!

My brother's Austin, Aaron and me on my birthday.
It's officially a new year! I'm thankful that we've made it through another year. One of the things I never really thought about before this year is that, most of us celebrate "a new year" twice a year. You celebrate seeing another year of life with your birthday and a new calendar year every year on January 1st. I am blessed to have both of those dates be only days apart. This means that, for me, the end of the year is one big celebration starting with Christmas, continuing with my birthday on Dec. 29th, and ending with New Years Day. 

My Girls and me on my birthday
My grandparents and me at Epcot
I was blessed to be able to go home and spend the holidays with my family and friends. You don't realize how much you take celebrating the holidays together for granted until you miss one. I missed Thanksgiving last year and it really had me feeling down and somewhat depressed. Being home for Christmas was the best present I could've asked for.

My Siblings and me
With the start of a new year, we often think about all the things we want to do better or differently with the fresh start. We usually call them New Years Resolutions (as I'm sure you know). The year 2017 for me was an interesting one. I made a major move to Costa Rica in an attempt to change my life. My family and I suffered some really tough losses (RIP Keaton Mack III, #E4K #LLK. Love you bro!). We celebrated some major successes like my brother graduating from college, my sister getting all A's and B's in grad school this last semester, my parents buying a house in Florida and myself making it through an entire year without being hospitalized due to my stress related illness! (That's major y'all!) We have a lot to be thankful for. All of this was on my mind while thinking about my 2018 resolutions.

My Family on Christmas Day
There were things that I didn't get around to in 2017 either due to lack of motivation, depression or circumstances. I realized that I tend to make resolutions that are pretty lofty and somewhat intimidating. This often causes me to shut down and make no progress on those goals instead of breaking it down into smaller pieces that I can actually work with. On top of that, I'm a career procrastinator. I have always worked better and produced better under pressure. However, I am realizing how detrimental to my health that can be.

With all of that being said, I have a few things that I want to do differently this year. I'm going to list them below:

1. Start each day with meditation/time with God.
2. Read one book/month that will help me further my career goals.
3. Focus on being a better teacher by removing my cell phones from my classroom and not waiting until the last minute to prepare.
4. Focus on being healthier by making better food choices and increasing my exercise.
5. Write more
6. Develop a business plan and do something for my business every month.
7. Use my amazing iBloom Planner daily!!! 

These are just a few of my resolutions.  There is more that I want to do but I'm trying not to overwhelm myself (and you for that matter).

The sun has set on 2017 and as continue our journey in 2018, I'd like to challenge you all to re-evaluate your goals. Simplify them and then break them down into bite sized pieces. Find a planner and break down your plan monthly/weekly/daily and as you complete the things, check them off. It's amazing how accomplished you feel after something as simple as checking off a completed task on your to-do list.

Sunset over the Gulf of Nicoya

 Until my next post, Travel, Live, Be! 

Love Always, 
Kelli Marie




2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have come across your blog. Thanks so much for being transparent with your experience. As I am considering a life change, this was great to read about. Keep going girl. Stay focused on your goals, know that it will all come together. Don't stress about a thing because God has already taken care of EVERYTHING!!!!!! Cheers o your prosperous 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Adrienne! I'm glad my blog has been helpful to you! I hope that everything will work out well with your life change as well! Make sure you read the next post about courage!

      Delete